This healthy and outside-the-box rendition of pasta with meatballs features loads of wholesome ingredients, like avocado and spaghetti squash, and the cilantro-lime chimichurri adds a ton of flavor. This mouthwatering dish pairs perfectly with a glass of crisp, white wine.
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled and diced
- 1¼ pounds lean ground turkey
- 3 avocados, diced
- 2½ ounces crumbled cotija or feta cheese, plus more to serve
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 2 bunches fresh cilantro
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
For the spaghetti squash:
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds with a spoon. Season with salt and pepper, and mist with olive oil spray.
3. Place on a baking sheet cut-side down and bake 40-45 minutes, until fork tender.
For the turkey-avocado meatballs:
1. In a pan, toast ground cumin and chili powder 1-2 minutes. Set aside in a large mixing bowl.
2. Wipe out the pan, add a drizzle of olive oil along with the onion and garlic and sauté for about 3 minutes. Add to the bowl with the spices.
3. Add the ground turkey, avocados, cheese, pepper and salt to the bowl and mix thoroughly to combine. Roll into 2-ounce meatballs and place in baking dish.
4. Place in oven and bake for 18 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165°F.
For the cilantro-lime chimichurri:
1. Small pan, toast red pepper flakes for about 1 minute.
2. Combine all ingredients except for extra virgin olive oil in high-powered blender or food processor and blend.
3. Slowly add extra virgin olive oil until blended smoothly.
Place about 3/4 cup spaghetti squash in a bowl. Place 3-4 meatballs on top. Drizzle cilantro-lime chimichurri over and finish off with additional crumbled cotija cheese.