Add extra protein to pasta salad with healthier chickpea noodles, hearty tuna and fresh avocado.
- 1/4 cup good-quality balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 8-ounce box chickpea pasta elbows (or other high-fiber pasta)
- Kosher salt
- 2 5-ounce cans olive oil-packed tuna
- 1/2 cup diced celery (about 2 large stalks)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 large (or 2 small) avocados, diced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped basil
Pour the balsamic vinegar into a medium bowl. Whisk the olive oil into the vinegar in a slow, steady stream until combined. Set aside.2.
Bring a large (4- to 6-quart) pot of water to a boil and add 1 tablespoon of kosher salt.3.
Stir the pasta into the salted water and cook according to package directions until al dente.4.
Drain the pasta into a strainer or colander and rinse well under cool running water. Shake the strainer to remove as much excess water as possible.5.
Pour the pasta into a large bowl. Gently stir in the tuna (along with any olive oil in the can), celery, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and 1/4 cup of the dressing.6.
Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes or refrigerate for up to 24 hours.7.
Up to 90 minutes before serving, stir in the tomatoes, avocado and basil. Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired.