- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium white onions, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 1 large handful cilantro or parsley, minced
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 cans diced tomatoes or 8 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (mild)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- injera chips, to serve
This is such a great, fully flavored dip to make for any occasion, and it's also very versatile. It can easily be adapted to make an amazing shakshuka or used as a marinade for chicken or fish.
Heat your olive oil in a large, deep pan or iron-cast skillet over medium heat until shimmering.2.
Add onions and sauté for a few minutes, until it begins to soften.3.
Add garlic after a few minutes and sauté, stirring, until softened and fragrant.4.
Add your red and green peppers and jalapeño and sauté for a few minutes.5.
Add cilantro, scallion and diced tomatoes and sauté for 8 minutes.6.
Add spices and cook until vegetables are fully softened; allow mixture to simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. At this point, you can taste the mixture and adjust it according to your preferences.7.
Serve with injera chips.