This is an easy-to-make soup that is deeply satisfying. I love to put out all the toppings so family or guests can get involved and personalize their own bowl. For added protein, add four cups cooked chicken to the prepared dish along with the root vegetables.
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- Two 32-ounce boxes vegetable stock
- One 14.5-ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- 4 cups roasted vegetables to include: butternut squash, beets, turnips and carrots
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 4 avocados
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 cups shredded Mexican cheese
- 2 bunches green onions, sliced
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- Corn tortilla chips, to taste
1. Heat some olive oil in a large pot
2. Add your onions and garlic. Simmer for a few minutes, until onions have softened
3. Stir in paprika, chili powder, and cumin. Season with salt and pepper. Let this cook for another 30 seconds.
4. Add vegetable stock and fire-roasted tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. After 30 minutes, add vegetables and black beans. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Add toppings as desired and serve immediately.