This traditional Easter torta is filled with ricotta, Parmesan, mozzarella, prosciutto and salami.
To make pastry dough:1. Using a food processor mix or pulse together flour, sugar, and salt.
Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal.
2. Add eggs and pulse until eggs are incorporated and dough is formed.
3. Form dough into a disk and chill, wrapped in plastic wrap, for about 1 hour.
Dough may be made one day ahead and chilled, covered.
To make torta rustica:1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
2. In a large bowl, add all the cheeses, eggs, and heavy cream.
Mix thoroughly, then fold in the prosciutto and salami; mix well.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a ⅛-inch-thick round about 18 inches in diameter.
Fit dough into a 9-inch springform pan, leaving a 2- to 3-inch overhang.
Into the shell, add the cheese-meat mixture.
4. Carefully fold the extra dough over the top of the filling toward the center of the torta, leaving the top partially open.
Brush dough with egg wash.
5. Bake torta in middle of oven for 1 hour, or until top crust is golden brown.
Serve warm or at room temperature, cut into wedges.