- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cup small onions, finely chopped
- 2 cup garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 stalk carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 teaspoon (32 ounces each) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoon dried bay leaves
- 2 cup basil, chopped
In a large casserole pot, heat the oil over a medium-high flame.
Add the onions and garlic and sauté until the onions are translucent, about 10 minutes.
Add the celery, carrots, and ½ teaspoon of each salt and pepper.
Sauté until all the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
Add the tomatoes and bay leaves, and simmer uncovered over low heat until the sauce thickens, about 1 hour.
Remove and discard the bayleaf.
Stir in the chopped basil.
Season the sauce with more salt and pepper to taste.
Total cooking time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
The sauce can be made 1 day ahead.
Cool, then cover and refrigerate.
Rewarm over medium heat before using.