This Chinese-inspired chicken salad uses cashews and cabbage for a delightful crunch that's balanced by grilled chicken and roasted shiitake mushrooms. When tossed in a zesty peanut-lime vinaigrette, the ingredients blend together for a lively lunch.
- 1 ½ cups arugula
- 1 cup radicchio, chopped
- 1 cup cabbage, chopped
- 1/4 cup bean sprouts
- 2 tablespoons daikon sprouts
- 2 tablespoons cashew nuts, whole or halved
- 1 leftover grilled chicken breast, diced into bite-sized cubes
Roasted shiitake mushrooms
- 1/4 pound shiitake mushrooms
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, chopped finely
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon Chinese five spice blend
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha
- 1 1/2 teaspoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lime juice
Roast the mushrooms:1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Roughly chop the shiitake mushrooms and place them on a baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
3. Put the tray in the oven and roast for 20 -30 minutes. Let the mushrooms cool completely before adding them to the salad. Make the dressing: While the mushrooms are roasting, mix all of the salad dressing ingredients together. Store in the fridge until you’re ready to serve.
Assemble the Salad:1. Place all salad greens in a mixing bowl.2. Add the bean sprouts, chopped chicken and drizzle with a few tablespoons of the vinaigrette. Toss until everything is mixed well.3. Plate the salad and garnish the greens with daikon sprouts and cashews.