This is one of those short-ingredient-list, quick-stir-fry dinners that just knocks it out of the park. Serve with jasmine rice to have the easiest, simplest, and heartiest dinner at fewer than 400 calories per serving.
Nutrition facts: Calories: 397.0 / total fat: 10.0 / trans fat: 0.0 / saturated fat: 2.0 / cholesterol: 55.0 / sodium: 1152.0 / carbohydrates: 38.0 / fiber: 0.0 / sugar: 3.0 / protein: 21.0
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1½ tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1½ tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 red Thai chile pepper, thinly sliced
- 1¼ pounds ground chicken breast
- 1½ cups packed fresh basil leaves
1. Cook the rice according to package instructions; set aside.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the stock, soy sauce, fish sauce, brown sugar, and vinegar; set aside.
3. Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, shallots and chile. Cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Add the ground chicken and cook until browned and cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes, making sure to crumble the chicken as it cooks; drain excess fat.
4. Stir in the stock mixture and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the sauce has thickened, 2-3 minutes. Stir in the basil until just wilted, about 30 seconds.
5. Divide the rice into bowls and top with the chicken mixture. Or portion into meal prep bowls and refrigerate for 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave in 30-second intervals until heated through.
Excerpted from "Damn Delicious Meal Prep: 115 Easy Recipes for Low-Calorie, High-Energy Living." Copyright © 2019 by Chungah Rhee. Reprinted with permission of Grand Central Publishing. All rights reserved.
TODAY has affiliate relationships, so we may get a small share of the revenue from your purchases. Items are sold by the retailer, not by TODAY.