This recipe can do it all. It's great for game day, potlucks, an easy weeknight dinner, a kid-friendly meal … you name it! It's a great go-to when you need something quick, comforting and flavorful
Swap option: You can substitute grass-fed ground beef for turkey.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ pounds ground lean turkey
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- Two 10-ounce cans diced tomatoes with green chilis, drained
- One 15-ounce can black beans, drained
- One 1¼-ounce package taco seasoning mix
- 1 cup corn meal, self-rising
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Hot sauce, for serving (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray an 8- by 8-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the ground turkey onions and cook until well browned. Drain any excess fat from the skillet and add the tomatoes, beans and taco seasoning mix. Simmer for 5 minutes. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
3. In a mixing bowl combine the corn meal, cumin, milk, oil, egg and cilantro, and blend well. Stir in the cheese and pour the mixture over ground turkey mixture in the baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes.