- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, small dice (about 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 pound ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups canned green beans
- One (10-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- One (10-ounce) can cream of chicken stock
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 pound frozen Tater Tots
- 1 pound shredded cheddar/Jack cheese
This recipe is a traditional dish we call hotdish (also known as a casserole). It is literally at every single event in North Dakota: baby showers, graduation parties, holiday feasts, weddings and funerals. You name it, it’s there.
Preheat the oven to 350°F.2.
Add the oil to a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft and beginning to brown, about 15 minutes. Add garlic until fragrant. Add the beef to the onions/garlic and cook until the meat is brown, stirring and scraping the bottom of the skillet, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.3.
Transfer the beef and onion mixture from the skillet into a large mixing bowl and add the rest of the ingredients except Tater Tots and cheese. Mix until well combined. Pour mixture into a 9-by-13 baking dish and top with Tater Tots. Bake uncovered for 40 minutes, add cheese and cook until cheese is fully melted.