You can serve these yummy meatballs over whole-wheat spaghetti, bean-based pasta (like Banza), or even zoodles. Then top it all off with some of your favorite (low-sugar) tomato sauce.
Swap option: These can be made with ground turkey or chicken instead of beef, and wheat bran can be used in place of pulverized crackers..
- 2 pounds 97 percent lean ground beef
- 10 GG Bran Crispbread crackers, pulverized into a fine, flour-like consistency
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 large Vidalia onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 8 part-skim mozzarella string cheese sticks, cut into fifths (40 pieces total)
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or tinfoil and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except mozzarella cheese; mix well.
3. Using a scoop, divide mixture into 40 meatballs and place on a baking sheet or plate. One at a time, place each meatball in the palm of your cupped hand. Press mozzarella cube into meatball and roll back into a ball, making sure to cover cheese completely.
4. Place on prepared baking sheets, for 35 minutes, rotating trays halfway through cook time.
5. Serve immediately over whole-wheat spaghetti, bean-based pasta, like Banza, or zoodles. Top with tomato sauce, as desired.