Who doesn't love a bagel with a lox in the morning? While this classic New York breakfast will likely set you back 600 calories, my version (which uses protein powder to make a low-carb waffle mix) clocks in at half the calories — but it's totally delicious!
- 2 scoops fiber/protein powder (vanilla or plain flavored)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 4 egg whites
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons whipped Greek cream cheese
- Everything But The Bagel seasoning, to taste
- 2 ounces smoked salmon
- Sliced tomato
- Sliced red onion
- Fresh dill
- Cucumber slices
For the waffles:
1. Preheat the waffle iron.
2. In a bowl, combine the protein powder, baking powder, coconut oil and egg whites. Whisk until smooth.
3. Once waffle maker is warm, coat both sides with a nonstick cooking spray. Pour half of the batter in and clamp down the waffle maker.
4. Remove waffle from waffle maker and repeat until all batter is used (should yield 2 large waffles).
Allow waffles to cool for 1-2 minutes before adding toppings. Spread a layer of cream cheese evenly atop one waffle. Sprinkle liberally with "Everything But The Bagel" seasoning and top with smoked salmon, sliced tomato, sliced onion and dill. Place the second waffle on top to create a full sandwich.