This Tagliolini with Shrimp Fra Diavolo is perfect for an easy seafood dinner and an Italian Feast of Seven Fishes dinner on Christmas Eve.
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely minced
- 6 whole fresh plum tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 cups prepared tomato sauce
- 1½ cups shrimp stock
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes or chopped fresh chili peppers (or more to taste)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 pounds jumbo shrimp (21-25 shrimp per pound), cleaned and deveined
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced thin
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound dry linguine, spaghetti or tagliolini
In a large sauté pan, heat the extra-virgin olive oil until smoking. Add garlic and shallots and toast until lightly brown. Add chopped fresh tomatoes, tomato sauce and shrimp stock, turn heat down to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, then add red pepper flakes and white wine.
In a separate pot of boiling salted water, begin to cook pasta. While pasta cooks, add shrimp, fresh herbs and scallions to sauce. Season with salt and pepper and continue cooking until shrimp are cooked through, about 7 minutes.
When pasta is al dente, drain pasta but do not rinse. Place pasta in a large serving bowl, add sauce, toss and serve immediately.