Swiss rolls give you all fantastic flavors of a layer cake in a fun, rolled-up package. The sweet swirls in this version are filled with light whipped cream and fruity jam.
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons sugar, plus more for dusting
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 6 tablespoons berry jam
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Brush the paper and sides of baking sheet with melted butter and dust with flour.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. Add water and vanilla extract and whisk until incorporated.
3. Sift the flour into the wet ingredients in three additions, folding gently between each addition.
4. Pour mixture into prepared baking sheet and bake for about 12 minutes (the center should feel slightly springy and the edges have shrunk from the sides of the sheet).
5. Add the heavy cream into the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, or into a mixing bowl using a hand-held mixer. Whisk on medium-high until stiff peaks are formed (be careful not to over-whip to avoid lumpiness. It should take about 5 minutes to make a whipped cream).
6. Sprinkle sugar over a large cutting board. When the cake comes out of the oven, immediately invert out of baking sheet onto the sugared board and blanket with a damp cloth kitchen towel. Wrap and roll the cake very gently, taking care that there are no cracks, and place in the fridge still rolled until cool.
7. Unroll the cake and spread with thin layers of jam and whipped cream. Roll in the same direction as initial roll, very gently again.
8. Trim edges of the roll, dust the top with powdered sugar, slice and serve.