Mango adds an unexpected fruity flavor and sweetness to this spicy and crunchy slaw. It's also totally vegan but still is hearty and satisfying.
Technique tip: If you cut the cabbage slices a bit thicker, the slaw will hold up for a longer period of time, such as during an outdoor barbecue. You can prepare in advance by mixing all the vegetables together and leaving them in the refrigerator, covered. Then fold in the dressing when you are ready to serve.
Swap option: Use cashews instead of peanuts if you like.
- 1 large carrot, peeled
- 1 ripe mango
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 head red (or green) cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1 lime, zested
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts
1. Using a vegetable peeler, make carrot ribbons by peeling through the entire carrot.
2. Peel the skin from the mango, then use the peeler to peel thin slices of mango.
3. Combine the carrot, mango, green onions and cabbage in a large bowl. Mix the lime zest, vinegar, hot sauce and salt in a small bowl. Toss the dressing with the slaw and transfer to a platter.
4. Sprinkle the peanuts on top before serving.
Excerpted from The Last O.G. Cookbook: How to Get Mad Culinary Skills © 2019 by Turner Entertainment Networks, Inc. Reproduced by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.
TODAY has affiliate relationships, so we may get a small share of the revenue from your purchases. Items are sold by the retailer, not by TODAY.