Hollowed out orange cups are great for serving individual soufflés — and you don't have to purchase additional ramekins!
Technique tip: Some preparation can be done up to two days in advance. You can hollow out the orange cups and keep them in a zip-top bag in the refrigerator. The sweet potatoes can be roasted and combined with the spices and sugar, sealed and refrigerated. Be sure to bring the mixture to room temperature before combining the eggs.
- 2 pounds medium to large sweet potatoes or yams
- 4 large navel oranges, cut in half crosswise and hollowed out
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon powder
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 5 egg whites
- 6 candy canes or 12 peppermint hard candies
1. Preheat oven at 425°F.
2. With a sharp paring knife, poke several holes in the sweet potatoes and bake, rotating once, for 1 hour, or until potatoes are very soft. Remove from oven. When cool enough to handle, cut in half and scoop out flesh. Using a blender or food processor, purée sweet potatoes until smooth. Measure out 2 cups of sweet potato, save any extra for another use.
3. Unwrap candy canes and place in a zip-top bag and seal. Whack the candy canes with a rolling pin or small frying pan until crushed.
4. Reduce oven temperature to 400°F.
5. In a medium size bowl, add sweet potato purée, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, ginger and sea salt. Mix thoroughly. Add egg yolks and mix to combine.
6. In a stand mixer, whisk egg whites just until stiff peaks form. Add about half of the egg whites to the sweet potato mixture and mike to combine. Gently fold in the rest of the egg whites until just incorporated. Be sure not to overmix.
7. Place orange cups on top of a muffin pan (a muffin pan keeps the cups from tipping over, but a regular baking sheet works as well). Spoon sweet potato mixture in the cups just to the top.
8. Bake for 12-16 minutes until puffy and lightly browned. Remove from oven and immediately top with crushed candy canes.