- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potato, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 cups broth
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat or low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup fresh berries
- 1-2 teaspoons maple syrup
- Optional toasted nuts, seeds and granola
Sweet spuds for breakfast? You bet. This creamy-dreamy parfait can be prepped ahead of time — good news for those of us who aren’t morning people! — so you can get out the door in no time. It also makes a sweet snack and delicious dessert. You can prep multiple servings at one time (for you and your crew), or make a single serving and freeze the leftover sweet potato-carrot mash for future nibbles. Add your fave toppings (berries, nuts, seeds, granola, coconut)… anything goes. This parfait is perfect!
Add the cut up sweet potato and carrots to a large pot along with the broth. Bring to a boil, then lower heat, cover, and simmer until fork tender, about 20 minutes. Mash with a fork or potato masher until smooth and creamy (it makes about 5 cups). It’s OK if you’re left with a lumpy texture. Mix in the salt and cinnamon.
Add a heaping cup of mashed sweet potato and carrots to the bottom of a parfait glass and layer with yogurt, berries, and a drizzle of maple syrup.