Use leftover sweet potato scraps to make a creamy and rich gratin.
- 5 cups sweet potato scraps
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar, preferably Sugar in the Raw
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon all-spice
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups Parmesan cheese, divided
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons shallots, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 375º F.
2. Place the sweet potato scraps in a mixing bowl, set aside.
3. In a large skillet, combine the olive oil and diced onions and caramelize.
4. Add the butter, sugar, heavy cream, mustard, spices and flour. Stir to combine. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and pour over the sweet potato scraps and stir to mix.
5. In a glass baking dish, start with a layer of the sweet potato mixture. Add a layer of Parmesan cheese. Add another layer of sweet potato mixture. Add another layer of Parmesan cheese. Top it off with the shallots, maple syrup and cinnamon sticks. Cover in foil and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 25 minutes. Serve.