- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh garlic, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, finely minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 5 medium whole roasted sweet potatoes, skins removed (recipe linked above)
- 2 (13.5-ounce) cans full-fat coconut milk
- 3 cups low-sodium stock (chicken or vegetable)
- 2 tablespoons white miso paste
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced (both white and green parts)
- 1 cup labneh, Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon sumac (optional)
People always think of butternut squash soup, but what about our good friend the sweet potato? This recipe is so full of flavor, it will be your go-to. I love how fresh garlic, onions and ginger build the foundation of this soup. The coconut milk brings richness, and the miso paste provides a well-rounded depth of flavor that can't be beat! Top this soup with toasted coconut flakes, creamy labneh, toasted sesame seeds and tangy sumac, and you're in for a seriously delicious healthy dinner!
Swap option: Swap sweet potato with cooked squash or cauliflower.
In a large, heavy bottomed pot or Dutch oven over a medium-low heat, add 1/4 cup olive oil and sweat the onion, garlic and ginger until softened and translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.2.
Add the rice wine vinegar and continue to cook for an additional minute.3.
Add in the sweet potatoes, mashing them down as you go. Add in the coconut milk, chicken broth and miso; mix to combine.4.
Blend the mixture using an immersion blender, high speed blender or food processor. If using a blender, take extra care to blend the soup. Adjust seasoning to taste.5.
In a separate skillet over a medium-high heat, add the remaining olive oil. Once shimmering, add in the thinly sliced scallions and cook until frizzled and softened.6.
To plate, ladle soup into a bowl. Top with a dollop of labneh, frizzled scallions and their oil, toasted coconut, toasted sesame seeds and sumac.