- 1½-2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 4 sweet potatoes), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoon salted butter
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- Marshmallows, for topping
This recipe takes sweet potatoes to another level. The contrasting textures of the creamy potatoes and crunchy topping make it so delicious.
Technique tip: Creating a crumble with dry ingredients and butter.
Swap option: You can add pecans instead of oats or walnuts even. This recipe can easily be doubled as well.
For the sweet potatoes:1.
Fill a large pot with sweet potatoes and water about an inch higher than potatoes. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until fork tender, about 15-20 minutes. Completely drain potatoes and place back into the pot.2.
Using a hand mixer (or a hand masher), blend potatoes until mostly smooth. Next add butter, sugar, cream, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg and mix until well combined and potatoes are smooth.3.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8- by 8-inch casserole dish.4.
Spoon mashed potatoes into dish and smooth with a spatula.
For the crumble topping:1.
Whisk together flour, sugar, oats, cinnamon and nutmeg in a medium bowl. Melt butter in a microwave safe bowl. Add melted butter to dry ingredients and mix with a fork to create crumbs.2.
Add marshmallows to top of mashed sweet potatoes then sprinkle with crumble topping.3.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until crumble is crisp and marshmallows are golden brown. You can also broil marshmallows a bit if you want them to have more a torched look.