- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger (from 1” of fresh ginger)
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 medium sweet potato (approximately 5” in length and 2” in diameter)
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, approximately 20 (1/2” diameter) spears or a 5” round bunch, washed, trimmed and cut into thirds
In a small bowl, combine the orange juice, zest, ginger and soy sauce. Mix well with a wire whisk and set aside.Microwave the sweet potato until a fork can be inserted easily into the center. Depending on your microwave, this will take from 4 to 8 minutes. Slice into approximately 1/4”-thick slices. You should have around 1 1/2 cups.Place the asparagus and potato in a shallow ovenproof dish that has been greased with cooking spray for 2 seconds. Cover with the sauce and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, turning occasionally, if possible.Preheat the broiler. Broil 5 to 6 minutes, turning once halfway through, or until the asparagus is tender, being careful not to overcook. Serve immediately.Variation: Glaze can be used on any vegetable. It is particularly good with sliced zucchini and yellow squash or partially cooked acorn squash rings.
Tip: The sweet potato can also be steamed for 12 to 13 minutes if you prefer.