Even though eggs are often used in sugary foods like cakes and cookies, it's uncommon to think of an egg as something other than savory. But, the mild flavor of eggs makes them perfect for sweet preparations as well. Here, crisp apples, warm cinnamon, fragrant vanilla and brown sugar take this omelet in a sweeter direction for an unexpected, but delicious breakfast.
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cream or milk
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- Maple syrup, for serving
1. Heat one tablespoon of butter in a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add the apples and cinnamon, cook until tender and then remove from pan.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, vanilla and cream.
3. Heat the remaining butter in the pan until melted, add the egg mixture to the pan and let cook. When the eggs are almost cooked through, add in the apple mixture and sour cream.
4. Fold and serve with maple syrup.