I love this recipe because it takes one of my childhood fast food favorites and gives it a grown-up twist. The spicy chorizo and eggs make this dish a little savory while the griddle cakes and candied bacon give this dish a sweet finish.
Technique tip: Using a mold to shape the pancakes also makes them easier to flip.
- 5 eggs
- 2¼ cups milk
- 3/4 cup distilled vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1½ tablespoons baking soda
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons rainbow sprinkles
- 1 pound thick-cut bacon slices
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Cooked crumbled chorizo
- Scrambled eggs
- Grade A maple syrup
- 4 to 6 eggs, cooked any style (omelet, sunny-side up or over easy egg) for plating
- Microgreens, to garnish
For the pancakes:
In a bowl, mix the milk and vinegar and let sit for at least ten minutes (or overnight if possible). Then, whisk the eggs and vanilla into the milk mixture.
In a separate bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and sprinkles. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients (the batter should be free of lumps and well-mixed). Let batter rest while rest of dish is prepared.
For the bacon:
Preheat oven to 400°F. Place the bacon slices on cooling rack set over a rimmed baking sheet and place in the oven to cook for about 10 minutes or until the bacon is about 80% cooked. Remove the bacon from the oven and sprinkle with the brown sugar, return to the oven and finish cooking, about 5 more minutes. Once the bacon is finished, let cool slightly then chop and set aside.
1. Preheat griddle to medium-high heat. Coat 4 round ring molds and heavily with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Place the prepared molds on griddle. Fill the molds about half way with batter. Let cook for approximately 7 minutes, until they begin to rise. Then sprinkle each pancake with cooked sausage, candied bacon (reserve some for garnish) and the scrambled eggs. Flip and cook for another 5 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter.
3. Drizzle the syrup across the serving plates. Take some candied bacon and scatter across plate as well. On each plate, stack two pancakes on top of each other, add the remaining bacon, and stack again. Add your eggs on top, drizzle with maple syrup and finish with microgreens, for garnish.