Pulled BBQ chicken thighs
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon dry whole leaf thyme
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons hot Hungarian paprika
- 3 tablespoons onion powder
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1. Make the rub. In a small bowl add allspice, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, thyme, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, salt and a few grinds of pepper. Stir and rub each chicken thigh with the mixture all over to coat.
2. Preheat the oven to 225`F. In a roasting pan, add the smashed garlic, tomatoes and honey. Sprinkle over the scallions. Add the chicken over the tomatoes covering them as much as possible. Some are going to peek out and that's just fine, let those bad boys get caramelized later on! Shake over any excess rub. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and place in the oven for 1 hour. Remove the foil and place back in oven for 30 more minutes.
3. Pull the chicken. Remove the chicken from the roasting pan making sure to gently shake off juices in the pan before the transfer, that's flavor so don't leave it on the board! Remove meat from the bones using a fork, tongs, knives, fingers, whatever works! Shred or chop the meat down to size, set aside.
4. Make the pan BBQ sauce. Place the roasting pan onto a burner over medium-high heat and add the light brown sugar, ketchup, and vinegar. Using a potato masher, smash the tomatoes into submission, then stir everything allowing it to simmer and reduce until slightly thickened. Add the shredded chicken back in and stir to coat. Serve warm over soft, thick-sliced bread.