The secret to this burger's over-the-top flavor is in the center. Hiding inside is a molten pocket of gooey nacho cheese dip. You'll never go back to a basic burger again!
Technique tip: For every pound of meat, a level teaspoon of kosher salt really puts you right in the flavor zone of balanced salty happiness. No more tiny test burger.
- 8 ounces nacho cheese dip
- 2 pounds ground sirloin (85% meat, 15% fat)
- 6 strips bacon, crisped and chopped
- One 4-ounce can diced green chiles, drained
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 to 3 lime wedges
- 6 hamburger buns
- 6 slices pepper jack cheese
- 8 to 10 paper thin slices red onion
- 2 avocados, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh whole cilantro leaves
- Kettle chips
For the burgers:
1. Using plastic wrap over an ice cube tray, scoop equal amounts of dip in 6 of the recesses. Cover and freeze until hard, about 1 hour. If you don't have a free ice cube tray, try partially freezing the canister of dip, then using a spoon or a small ice cream scoop to make a ball out of a portion, then flatten it into a disc and continue to freeze in that shape.
2. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
3. In a large bowl add the beef and sprinkle the bacon, chiles, cumin, salt and a few hefty grinds of black pepper evenly over the top. Gently mix with your less dominant hand until just combined.
4. Divide the beef into 6 equal balls. Make an impression in the center of each ball with your thumb, then plunk in a piece of the frozen nacho dip. Form the beef around it to make a patty.
5. Place the burgers over the direct heat portion of the grill. Grill until the burgers easily release from the grill, about 3-4 minutes. Then, gently flip and cook the burgers on the other side just 2 minutes more. Remove from the grill to a serving platter, spritz immediately with the lime wedges and allow to slightly cool.
Grill the buns, cut side down, over direct or indirect heat until golden and toasted. Layer the burgers in this order from the bottom; bun, pepper jack cheese slice, patty, red onion, avocado slices, cilantro, top bun. Enjoy with chips!