- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/2 cup lightly packed chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup lightly packed chopped fresh basil
- 4 ounces shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 slice white bread, cut into tiny cubes
- 2 scallions, finely chopped (white and green parts)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped white onion
- 3 cloves garlic, finely grated
- 1 egg white, whisked until frothy
- 2 tablespoons plain breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1⅓ cups shredded mozzarella cheese or Italian cheese blend
- Fresh basil leaves
- 4 onion rolls, split and toasted
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1 small red onion, very thinly sliced (optional)
I love this recipe because it lets you enjoy all the classic flavors of chicken Parm even if you don't have cutlets on hand. Ground chicken patties makes this delicious dish a breeze to prepare.
For the chicken:1.
In a large bowl, add and break up the ground chicken.2.
In a medium bowl add the parsley, basil, cheese, bread, scallions, onion, garlic, egg white, breadcrumbs, paprika, salt and pepper. Stir until everything is blended. Add the to the chicken and gently mix with your less dominant hand, turning the bowl with the dominant hand and using your fingers on the less dominant hand as a pitchfork, folding as you go. Once mixed, form into 4 equal patties.3.
Preheat the oven to 375°F.4.
In an oven-safe or cast iron pan large enough to fit all the patties at once, add the olive oil on medium high heat. When the oil begins to smoke sear the patties on one side until a crust forms, then flip and top each equally with sauce and cheese. Bake until the patties are cooked and the cheese is melted and golden in parts, about 25-30 minutes.
To serve on sandwiches:
Place a patty onto each bottom bun, top with onions (if using), basil and top bun.