Need a last-minute side? Sunny Anderson is here to the rescue with this easy Waldorf salad-inspired rice dish that's loaded with julienned apples, candied walnuts, crispy fresh celery and chewy dried cranberries.
Sunny's tip #1: Rinse rice in a colander until the water turns clear beneath before cooking to achieve a less sticky texture.
Sunny's tip #2: If serving room temperature, you can also arrange the arugula or spinach on a platter as the base and pour the rice over the top.
For the dressing
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- Orange zest
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- Kosher salt and black pepper
For the salad
- 2 cups rice, cooked as directed on package (pre-cooked measure)
- 2 cups baby arugula, or baby spinach loosely packed
- 1 red-skinned firm apple, cored and julienned
- 1 cup candied walnuts, gently chopped (plain walnuts are okay too, just toast them)
- 1 stalk celery, halved lengthwise and very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
For the garnish
- 1 ounce shaved Pecorino Romano cheese
1. Make the dressing: In a medium bowl add the sour cream, orange juice, orange zest, honey, chives a pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper. Taste and season again with salt, if needed. This should be a loose dressing.
2. Make the salad: In a large bowl add the warm cooked rice, arugula, apple, walnuts, celery, and dried cranberries. Toss while dry to mix and wilt the greens, then add a spoonful of dressing at a time, tossing between additions, until the salad is slightly dressed as you like. Top with shaved cheese and serve warm or room temperature.