Grilled hot dogs are so good served simply with mustard, but they're also excellent canvas for a wide variety of different toppings and flavor combos. Here, I've added smoky bacon, crisp lettuce, creamy mayo and cool tomatoes to give delicious dogs the classic flavors of a BLT sandwich.
- 4 beef hotdogs with natural casing
- 6 strips bacon
- 1 teaspoon barbecue or steak seasoning
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 4 hot dog buns, steamed and split
- 1 roma or beefsteak tomato, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup shredded and chopped iceberg lettuce
For the hot dogs:
Preheat the grill to 350°F. Grill hot dogs on all sides until slightly charred, about 6-8 minutes.
For the bacon:
Place the bacon on non-stick aluminum foil. Sprinkle the bacon with steak seasoning and sugar, just on the top. Place on the indirect heat of the grill and cook until done, about 18-20 minutes. Remove and, when cool enough to handle, chop the bacon — but not to bits!
Line the insides of each bun with slices of tomato (they should stick out slightly), rest the hot dogs on top and add mayonnaise, using it to "glue" the lettuce and bacon on top. Enjoy!