Don't spend hours of your precious summer days sweating over homemade apple pie. This easy, five-ingredient recipe cuts down on the prep time but keeps all the comforting flavors. And, since it's mostly cooked on the grill, you don't even have to turn on the oven!
- 2 pre-made pie crusts
- 8 tart and sweet apples, peeled, cored and cut into 3/4-inch wedges
- 1 tablespoon apple pie spice
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
1. Preheat the grill to 400°F. Unroll one pie crust and place it in a 9-inch grill-safe sauté pan, pinching the edges into a design. Poke several holes all around and add pie weights. Bake until lightly golden and firm, about 15 minutes. Remove from the grill and set aside.
2. Place a sauce pot or sauté pan over the direct heat or on the side burner, over medium-high heat. Add the apples, apple pie spice, cinnamon sugar and 1/4 cup of water. Cook until apples are slightly tender, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle over the cornstarch and stir to thicken the filling. Cool slightly.
3. Pour the filling into the prepared crust. Add the remaining crust in a lattice design. Bake over the indirect heat of the grill until the top is golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.