Boost the flavor of artichoke hearts with smoky bacon and Parmesan cheese.
- 6 large artichokes, trimmed and choke removed
- 12 thick slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- 12 ounces parmesan cheese, cut into small cubes
- 3 cups dry breadcrumbs, such as panko
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary or thyme
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
Place artichokes on their bottoms in a large pot in a single layer. Add water to come 1 inch up the sides of artichokes. Bring the water to a simmer, cover the pot and cook 10-15 minutes, until the heart of the artichoke is cooked halfway, still a bit firm when pierced with a fork. Blot artichokes on paper toweling, then place onto a baking sheet, bottom-side-down.
Preheat oven to 350`F. In a large bowl, mix together remaining ingredients except butter. Taste and season as needed. Gently spread apart the leaves of the artichokes and distribute the filling evenly between the leaves and in the artichoke centers, spooning any extra onto the tops. Drizzle with the melted butter.
Bake in oven 20-30 minutes, until hot & golden brown. Serve while warm, putting out a bowl for the leaves to be discarded into.