These dazzling treats pair the fruity sweetness of Starburst chews with the crispiness of classic cereal treats.
Technique tip: Rolling out the Starburst chews won't be easy for all kitchen skill levels or tiny hands. We recommended using a heavy stainless steel rolling pin and a silicone rolling mat to get the job done.
Starburst krispie treats
- 40 Starburst candies in different flavors, unwrapped
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 cups mini marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
More marshmallow (if needed)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
1. On a clean, nonstick work surface such as parchment paper or a silicone rolling mat, use a rolling pin to roll and flatten each Starburst candy into a thin, roughly 2-inch square.
2. Press the Starburst squares together in a random pattern that will cover a 9 inch by 13-inch baking pan. Depending on how thinly or thickly you roll candy, you may need fewer than 40 to get the job done. Set aside.
3. Lightly coat a baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
4. Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven or stockpot over medium-low heat.
5. Add the marshmallows and stir frequently until they are completely melted and smooth.
6. Remove from the heat and stir in the Rice Krispies cereal until evenly coated. Spread the mixture into the prepared pan and gently press into an even layer.
7. While the Krispies are still warm, press the Starburst layer (which should be about 1/8– to 1/4-inch thick) onto the top of the treats to adhere. If the Starburst layer doesn't stick, add an additional layer of melted marshmallow. Melt the extra 1 tablespoon butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the extra 1 cup mini marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Brush the melted marshmallow over the treats, then press the Starburst layer onto the top of the treats to adhere.
8. Let the whole dish cool to room temperature. With a sharp knife or bench scraper, carefully cut the Rice Krispie Treats into squares and serve.
This recipe is brought to you by TODAY with our sponsor Mars.