With a carved pumpkin, this popular party dish becomes a spectacular centerpiece to wow guests at a Halloween party.
Technique tip: Covering the avocados with mayonnaise keeps them from turning brown since they aren’t exposed to the air, making this a “day before” recipe to add to your arsenal.
Swap Option: You can make these dairy free by taking out the mayonnaise. A little lemon juice will also help prevent the dip from turning brown.
- 1 carved pumpkin, any design with a mouth
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 4 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- Tortilla chips for serving
1. Mash the avocados with mayonnaise and lime juice in a small bowl just until combined.
2. Add the chili, garlic and salt. Stir well.
3. Cover the dip with plastic wrap, placing the wrap directly on the surface of the dip. Chill for at least 1 hour. (The dip may even be prepared the day before.) Season to taste with salt before serving.
4. Carefully spoon the dip outside of the mouth of the carved pumpkin for a creepy effect. Garnish with the crumbled bacon and serve with tortilla chips on the side.