Whether you're preparing a full Halloween party feast or just want to make an unusual after school snack for the kids, this chocolaty take on classic puppy chow will be a hit with the whole family.
Technique tip: To create precise gravestone letter, we recommend using food safe markers with edible ink, available at most kitchen craft stores. And don't be a afraid to get a little messy while mixing the chocolate mixture into the cereal. This is a great recipe for kids to get involved!
Swap option: Use almond butter or any other seed/nut butter to make this recipe more food allergy friendly.
- 8 cups mixed Chex cereal (wheat, rice or corn)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter, smooth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1½ cups crushed Oreo cookies
- Crushed up chocolate candy bars
- 8 terra cotta planters (small pots for mini favors or larger pots for serving)
- 2 bags gummy worms
- 1 bag marshmallow pumpkins
- Snickers, Twix or other candy bars cut into bite size pieces
Place cereal in a large bowl and set aside.2.
In a microwave proof bowl, melt chocolate, peanut butter and butter together until smooth (about 30 seconds, then stir, then 10 seconds more, stir).3.
Pour melted chocolate-peanut butter mixture over cereal and stir until coated.4.
Dump mixture into a large plastic bag or plastic containers with a lid and add the crushed Oreos. Shake until well coated. Kids can get in on the fun by mixing this in smaller batches.5.
Dump onto a cookie sheet to let cereal cool. Place in the freezer to let chocolate coating firm up.6.
Spoon a heaping cup into each terra cotta dish, add some worms then repeat. Top with more worms poking out of the "dirt" or tiny marshmallow pumpkins.