Lettuce cups are such a light and healthy vessel for spicy chicken flavored with Southwestern spices. This recipe also uses ingredients that are fridge and pantry staples.
Technique tip: When making any quick weekday chicken dish, consider using store-bought rotisserie chicken; you can add your own flavor and veggies to make basically any dish you want in a fraction of the time.
Swap option: Make the lettuce cups vegetarian by omitting the chicken and adding smoked/baked tofu, or your favorite roasted veggies.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 store-bought rotisserie chicken, skin removed with meat pulled from the bones and shredded
- 1 head butter lettuce, cored and leaves separated
- 1 medium ripe tomato, diced
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
1. Heat a large sauté pan on high heat. Add a tablespoon of vegetable oil and the sliced onion, sauté for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and jalapeño, stir and sauté for an additional 3-4 minutes, until the onion is soft and translucent. Add the spices and stir in the pan, sautéing for another minute to toast the cumin and chili powder.
2. Add the shredded rotisserie chicken to the pan and toss to coat. Continue to sauté until the chicken is heated through.
3. Put a 1/2 cup of spicy chicken mixture in each lettuce leaf. Top with the diced tomato and sliced avocado and serve each cup with a lime wedge.