It's fun to have a warm, spicy, meaty sandwich with an ice cold (literally ice cold) salad on the side. It's so refreshing. Iceberg is so underrated because it's not cute-looking like romaine or arugula, but I love it all the same.
Technique tip: You can control the heat level in this recipe (and others like it) easily. If you like spicy, leave as is. Want less spicy? Remove and discard the ribs and seeds inside the jalapeño to reduce heat level. Also, omit red pepper flakes.
Frozen Iceberg Salad
- 2 medium heads Iceberg, halved, outer layer removed
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 7 to 8 dashes Worcestershire
- 2 dashes hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 1 batch Bolognese sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespooon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced
- 4 potato burger buns, toasted
For the frozen iceberg salad:
1. One to two hours before serving, place the lettuce halves in the freezer.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, garlic, Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco. Taste for seasoning. Refrigerate.
3. When ready to serve, transfer to a platter and coat each half with some of the dressing.
For the sandwiches:
In a large skillet, warm the Bolognese sauce over medium heat and stir in the red pepper flakes, chili powder and vinegar. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat and stir in jalapeño.
Pile the meat sauce onto 4 buns and serve sandwiches alongside the iceberg salad.