This cocktail has the bones of a margarita, which is my absolute favorite summer classic, but adds in fresh watermelon, which I have always associated with barbecues in the park, and then the basil and habanero just add wonderful, bright freshness and a little kick.
- 1 cube watermelon (about 1 inch)
- 2 torn basil leaves
- 1 small slice red or orange habanero pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 3/4 ounce (1½ tablespoons) freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3/4 ounce (1½ tablespoons) simple syrup
- 1½ ounces (3 tablespoons) mezcal
Add all ingredients to tin and shake vigorously with ice for about 8 seconds.
Double strain over fresh ice in a rocks glass.