- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup Jamaican jerk seasoning
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces boneless chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1/4 cup shredded green cabbage
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
- 1½ cups diced fresh mango
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1½ cups diced tomato
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup mayo
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 mini hoagie rolls, sliced in half
I love this recipe because it is simple but good! It's kid-friendly and great tailgate item with a twist. It's like eating a taco but just elevated, the sweet, spicy and salty combination really comes out and the balance really gets those taste buds going.
Technique tips: The longer the chicken marinates, the more flavor it has. If using a spicy jerk seasoning, scale back on the amount to half. Let chicken rest a few minutes before slicing; once sliced, it can be held on warm in the oven.
Swap option: This recipe can be made using chicken tenders or breast, pork loin, fried chicken, fish or shrimp.
For the Jerk Chicken:1.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, fresh thyme, jerk seasoning, kosher salt, black pepper and olive oil; mix well.2.
Coat the chicken with the marinade and store covered in the refrigerator, at least 3 hours and up to 3 days. The marinade can be made up to 1 week ahead and stored in the refrigerator.3.
Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Cook the chicken until fully cooked, about 5 minutes per side.
For the Mango-Citrus Slaw:
Mix together the green cabbage, red cabbage, carrots, cilantro, mango, onion, tomato, lime juice, olive oil, vinegar, sugar and mayo in a bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste and allow mixture to marinate 3 hours in refrigerator.
Slice the meat and divide it among the slider buns. Top the sliders with the mango slaw or serve it as a side.