- 1 large head savoy cabbage, very thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 2 jalapeños, seeds removed from 1½ of the peppers and minced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
This is my go-to coleslaw recipe for the summertime since it's so light and a bit healthier than the usual mayo-based versions. By combining jalapeños with lime juice, there's a real kick that serves as a punch of flavor rather than an overpowering spice.
Place the cabbage in a large bowl with some salt. Place a plate on top to weight down the cabbage, then refrigerate for an hour.2.
Meanwhile, prep the remaining vegetables and set aside.3.
Mix the lime juice, vinegar and oil together, then set aside.4.
After the cabbage has chilled for an hour, mix all then ingredients together, then cover with a plate to weight down again. Refrigerate for at least two hours, although overnight is recommended.5.
Adjust the seasoning as needed and serve.