Make something that's hot and sweet this Thanksgiving: butternut squash soup with spicy, smoky chipotles and sweet maple syrup to tame the flame.
Go vegan: Make this soup vegan by replacing chicken broth with vegetable broth and swapping in full-fat coconut milk for the heavy cream.
Serve a crowd: This recipe version serves about six as a full-size portion, but you can easily double it for larger parties.
Make ahead: Soup can be made up to 2 days in advance and reheated just before serving.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat, then add the onions, garlic, and chipotles. Sauté for 2 minutes until onions are soft and garlic is fragrant.
- Add the squash, paprika, salt and pepper, and stir to coat well. Pour in the broth and bring to a boil. Lower heat and let simmer 15-20 minutes, or until squash is very tender.
- Remove from heat and let cool 20 minutes, then add the cream and maple syrup, and carefully transfer to a blender to puree in batches until very smooth (or use an immersion blender to puree in the pot). Return to pot and bring up to a simmer again.
- Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve garnished with candied pecans, chorizo and cilantro.