This salad offers the perfect combination of a beloved classic dish with an updated spicy twist. The dressing is also very versatile and can be used to dress grilled vegetables, simple boiled potatoes or even to just dip bread into.
Technique tip: Use a food processor to cut down on dressing prep time.
Swap options: You can use store-bought croutons and Caesar dressing if you're short on time.
- 1/3 loaf French bread, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 2 tablespoons anchovy oil (drained from the anchovy package)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
Spicy Caesar dressing (makes about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1½ tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon Asian chili paste
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon minced anchovies
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 24 leaves romaine lettuce hearts
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
For the anchovy croutons:
Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a bowl, toss the bread cubes with the anchovy and olive oils. Then, sprinkle them with the cheese and season with salt and pepper. Spread the bread cubes out on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 6-8 minutes, until crunchy. Remove from oven and set aside.
For the spicy Caesar dressing:
Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl or purée in food processor. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
For the salad:
In a large bowl, drizzle the dressing over the romaine leaves and toss. Transfer the dressed lettuce to a serving plate and sprinkle on the Parmesan cheese and croutons. Serve immediately.