This is one of my go-to summer grilling recipes because it's easy and packed with flavor. The yogurt marinade infuses flavor into the chicken and also helps tenderize it. I like to make a little sandwich with the accompaniments and add a sprinkling of spicy dried pepper.
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cups yogurt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon all spice
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 to 6 pieces of pita bread
- 8 to 12 green onions, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 bunch Italian parsley leaves
- 1 lemon, cut in wedges
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
For the chicken:
1. Mix the chicken thighs with marinade ingredients, place in a large bowl and allow chicken to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours.
2. Skewer the thighs on skewers and prepare the grill. Reserve marinade.
3. Heat grill on high, lowering the temperature once it hits 500 m F or so. On one half of the grill, lower the temperature to low and oil the grates well with a well-oiled towel.
4. Place the skewered chicken thighs onto the grill, let them sear and cook for about 7-10 minutes on each side.
5. Move the chicken onto the top rack of the grill and lower all the temperatures to low, about 325 F. Brush extra yogurt marinade onto the chicken while its grilling.
6. Finish cooking chicken on the top layer of the grill; cook to an internal temperature of 165 F, about 25-30 minutes).
1. Brush the pita and green onions with the extra-virgin olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
2. Put the green onions on the grill and cook for 5 minutes or so. Then grill the pita, about 30 seconds per side, to get it hot throughout.
3. Place the green onions and pita on a serving platter. Place the chicken on a platter and remove the skewers.
4. Serve immediately with fresh parsley, lemon and tomatoes.