- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces pancetta or thick bacon, diced
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup (2½ ounces) Parmigiano-Reggiano, freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound spaghetti
1. In a large sauté pan, heat the oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add the pancetta and cook until it is browned and the fat has rendered, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting and keep warm.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, cheese, and pepper until uniform.
3. Fill a large pot with water and add enough salt so the water tastes like seawater, and bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the directions on the package until al dente. Drain and transfer to the bowl with the egg mixture and add the pancetta, along with all the fat from the pan. Toss with the egg and cheese mixture and the pancetta until the eggs are cooked and the pasta is coated and creamy, about 1 minute. Serve immediately.