These vegetarian greens are so good they will fool even the savviest culinary connoisseur. They get their meaty flavor from a blend of savory spices, liquid smoke and barbecue sauce.
- 5 quarts water
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup vegetable base
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 4 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 4 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 yellow or orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 pounds collard greens, cleaned and chopped
Bring the water, seasonings, vegetable base, barbecue sauce and liquid smoke to a boil in an 8-quart pot.2.
In a medium-size pan, warm the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the peppers, onion and garlic and sauté until translucent and tender. About 5-10 minutes.3.
Add the sautéed vegetables to the boiling water then add the chopped collard greens. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 1½ hours, until tender.