Everyone loves a classic snickerdoodle cookie and these little gems are extra special with a jam-filled center. I've also made them healthier by using mostly whole wheat flour. Use the same jam for all of them, or mix it up with a colorful trio. Enjoy 2 snickerdoodles for less than 250 calories!
Make-ahead tip: The snickerdoodles may be kept in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg plus 1 egg white, whisked
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Cinnamon-Sugar (for rolling)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons your favorite jam
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Using a handheld electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar. Add in the eggs and vanilla extract and beat until smooth.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the flours, cream of tartar and salt. Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the wet mixture; combine.
4. Chill dough for 30 minutes. Place sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and blend thoroughly. Form dough into 1-inch balls and roll in sugar mixture. Place on a baking sheet, 2 inches apart. Use your thumb to make an indentation in the center of each cookie. Fill each indentation with 1/2 teaspoon of jam.
5. Bake for 12 minutes, until cookies are set. Enjoy!
Frances Largeman-Roth, RD, is a nutrition expert, writer and best-selling author. Her books include Feed the Belly, The CarbLovers Diet and Eating in Color. Follow her @FrancesLRothRD