Our family calls this a "BlaVaMato" salad, which stands for black beans, avocado and tomatoes. These fresh ingredients get tossed together to make a killer mosh pit of a hearty salsa-inspired salad.
Dijon-lime dressing (makes 1/4 cup)
- 2½ tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pint assorted cherry tomatoes, halved
- One 15-ounce can low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Hass avocado, pitted, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped red onion
- 1 handful fresh cilantro, chopped
For the dressing:
Whisk together the ingredients in a small bowl or shake them in a jar (store in the fridge for up to 30 days).
For the salad:
Combine the tomatoes, black beans, avocado, onion and cilantro in a large bowl. Drizzle a small amount of the dressing over the salad and toss gently to coat. Add more dressing as needed. Serve cold.
Reprinted with permission from "The Family Table: Recipes and Moments from a Nomadic Life" by Jazz, Jurnee, Jake and Jussie Smollett (William Morrow Cookbooks, April, 2018)