- One 55-ounce can pork and beans
- 1 cup your favorite barbecue sauce
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (optional)
- 1 cup chopped barbecued meat (beef or pork)
This is our barbecue beans recipe has won a 2nd and a 3rd place finish in back-to-back years at the American Royal World Series of Barbecue.
Technique Tip: To get an authentic pit bean flavor, place the pan underneath a pork butt or brisket that's cooking to allow the meat drippings to flavor the beans.
Special equipment: A smoker.
Preheat the smoker to 250°F.2.
Combine the beans, barbecue sauce, brown sugar, mustard and hot sauce in an 8-by 12-inch baking pan. Stir in the chopped barbecue meat.3.
Place the pan in the smoker for 1 hour.4.
After 1 hour, cover with aluminum foil and cook for an additional hour.5.
Remove from smoker, stir and enjoy.