This is a staple on the menu at The Ordinary, where we smoke all kinds of local fish. The creamy texture and smoky flavor make this dip impossible to resist.
Swap option: You can substitute smoked trout for the mackerel.
- 4 ounces (8 tablespoons) cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons crème fraiche
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced chives
- 8 ounces smoked mackerel, skin and bones removed
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice, or to taste
- Sea salt, to taste
- Crackers or raw vegetables, for serving
- Dill, chervil, espelette and/or good olive oil, for garnish
1. Combine softened cream cheese and crème fraiche in a mixing bowl and stir until thoroughly combined. Fold in minced shallot and chives.
2. Gently flake smoked fish into the mixture and fold to combine. Season to taste with lemon juice and salt.
3. Serve with crackers and/or crudités and garnish with dill, chervil, espelette and/or good olive oil, if using.