Move over, Buffalo chicken! Try this vegetarian version using smoked cauliflower from chef Tim Love.
- 2 whole heads of cauliflower
- 4 cups hot sauce
- ¼ cup game rub (recipe follows)
- 2 tablespoons chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 cup blue cheese crumbles
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ stick (4 tablespoons) butter
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup pure chile powder, such as guajillo or ancho
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary
Make game rub: Mix all of the ingredients in a jar and store in the refrigerator for up to 6 months.
Cut cauliflower head in half through stem. Lay in pan cut side down. Season with olive oil, salt and pepper. Add 2 cups water to pan.
Smoke cauliflower at 225 for 20 -30 minutes, or until stalk is knife tender. Remove from pan and cut cauliflower into florets.
While cauliflower smokes, make Buffalo sauce. Heat chicken stock, heavy cream, hot sauce and rub in a in sauce pan bringing to boil. Turn off heat and whisk in cold butter until sauce is glossy.
Toss cauliflower in buffalo sauce and place in serving bowl. Top with blue cheese crumbles.