- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons refrigerated garlic paste (from tube)
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 28-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 cup water
This easy sauce is the definition of "set it and forget it." It's also budget-friendly and incredibly flavorful.
Technique tip: Slow and low is your friend in this recipe. The longer it cooks, the better it is.
Swap option: Swap ground pork or ground turkey for the beef. You may have to add additional salt when you switch proteins.
Combine the ground beef, onion and garlic paste in a Dutch oven are large skillet over medium-high heat and cook, stirring until the meat is browned crumbled and the onion is tender, 8-10 minutes.2.
Drain off any excess fat, and transfer the meat and onion mixture to a 5 or 6 quart slow cooker. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, brown sugar, oregano, salt, thyme, garlic salt, paprika, black pepper, bay leaves and 1 cup water, and stir to combine.3.
Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Discard the bay leaves before serving. (Refrigerate the sauce up to 5 days or freeze it.)