What's better than pulling out a box of mac & cheese and pleasing your children? Effortlessly making a homemade version in no time with this recipe, and pleasing your entire family, that's what's better. This is simple comfort food at its finest and will hopefully become a new family favorite.
Technique tip: Boiling the pasta until under al dente before placing it in the slow cooker will ensure that it doesn't overcook and become mushy.
Swap option: Try using whole-wheat or gluten-free pasta, or try adding things like diced ham or green peas.
- 8 cups water
- 12 ounces large elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 1½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1. Bring the water to a boil in a large pot. Add the pasta and cook for 6 minutes (the pasta will not be tender). Drain and rinse with cold water; drain again.
2. Combine the butter, flour and salt in a 4-quart slow cooker, stirring with a whisk. Stir in the half-and-half, mozzarella and 1/2 cup of the cheddar. Add the partially cooked pasta, stirring to coat. Cover and cook on low until slightly thickened and creamy, about 1½ hours.
3. Remove the lid, stir and sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup cheddar. Cover and cook until the cheese is melted and the liquid is nearly absorbed, 15 to 30 minutes.